About two months ago, I decided (impulsively) that I wanted to go back to blonde… it was a mistake. After getting balayage done three times in a row, my hair was breaking and had turned to straw! It was so frustrating and made me feel extremely insecure. In an effort to repair my damaged hair, I tried MANY different techniques and products, but only a couple truly worked to get my hair back to being healthy. The few tips and tricks I have picked up to repair and maintain healthy hair are the following:
- Taking Amino-Acids every day. Amino acids are great for your hair and I have seen them make my hair thicker and stronger.
- Adding a shower filter to your shower head at home. There are so many things in our water that aren’t good for our hair (and skin), this filter will get rid of the unwanted copper, fluoride, chlorine, etc. I have seen a major difference in my hair since using the shower head filter.
- Using a hair masque once a week. My boyfriend’s sister recommended this hair masque to me and I am not kidding you after trying 4 or 5, this masque has saved my hair from breaking off. The bottle will say to leave in hair for 7 minutes – I usually do 10-15 minutes in the shower.
- Using high-quality shampoo and conditioner. You should always use a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. You should never use cheap shampoos or conditioners because they will strip the natural colors out of your hair and not replenish it as it should do.
- Use clip in extensions instead of glued in or hand tied extensions. This will prevent you from damaging your hair further. I absolutely love the brand I use and pictured above!
- Get a hair cut once every three months. By doing this, you will cut off an inch or so of dead ends and be able to grow your hair more.
- Lastly, only wash your hair once a week! I know it sounds gross, but it is not good for you to wash your hair more than that. Although you may think your hair is getting greasy, it will take 2-3 weeks or so for your hair to not get automatically greasy and will get used to the new hair washing schedule.
All of these things have worked for me to get my hair back to being healthy. I hope they help you in repairing your hair or keeping it healthy!
A link to all of the products I use can also be found here.